Monday, January 26, 2015

Cheating and Facing Facts

Hello everyone and welcome back to Project Health!

Today's post is going to be a little different-- instead of recipes or tips, I actually wanted to give an update about how my vegan lifestyle is going. To start, I should put out the disclaimer that this lifestyle is not easy. As I'm sure most of you know. I got to this journey in my life because I went to my doctor with an issue and my partner and I came out with an answer. I often think back to that day. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic... but this was no joke. It was sad, scary, and horrible. I remember sitting on the cold table, waiting for the doctor to figure out what was wrong with me. Results showed there was no lump in my breast and this news came with relief. As soon as my mind stopped rushing with thoughts of the C word... Cancer... a new fear became present--- if it's not breast cancer, then what the hell is wrong with me? After many more appointments, my doctor finally stated the most scary statement of all... "I don't know what's wrong." My heart dropped... I remember thinking, "How hard can this be to figure out?" and of course, "What's going to happen to me?"
There were no more test that could be preformed, there were no more results that could show sunlight. They really didn't know... and neither did I.

"No soy, nothing that contains hormones, like meat, dairy, or anything that comes from an animal for that matter." My response to this was of course true to form, "What am I suppose to eat?!" And then the doctor said the most strange word of all; "Vegan". The only true answer the doctors could come up with.... Vegan lifestyle.

After I got dressed and left the Cancer Center, I felt lost. What was a girl like me doing at a Cancer Center. I felt so lost in fact, I couldn't even find my car. I began looking around at the mostly full parking lot and wondering what all these people were here for... and if maybe someone had my same problem. Then maybe I wouldn't be alone.

I battle with myself every single day about my diet. Wondering if it really makes a difference. Wondering if that one slice of cake will really cause me harm.
Back in October, my partner and I traveled to Arkansas to get married. On this trip, I put my cake theory to the test. At first I didn't feel any different. But I can honestly say, sitting here at my computer today, I know the doctors were right. I have been stabled with a vegan lifestyle and I just have to come to terms with that.
The more I cheat my diet, the worse I feel, the more damage I am doing to my body. So, here's to no more cheating! Vegans of the world, Take me away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment